Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Gingerbread House?

I am going to start this post saying that I am NOT a baker. I love the idea of being one, but I hate the mess, I don't think I have the eye for it...


BUT... it's Christmas time. I have been browsing the wonderful blogs around and I can't help it, I feel so inspired! I should start my bake-a-ton with something simple, but I have decided to tackle a big project instead: The Gingerbread house!

Where we used to live, there is a bakery that makes them for sale and they are $100 each! Talk about expensive! So needless to say that I never got one, I thought they were so pretty and impossible to make, but nah, they are pretty and actually pretty easy to make. So I followed this recipe. Religiously.


After I baked my house, I realised that even though it was cold, it was not hard enough! Not to mention that I didn't have enough dough, maybe my house was way too big! Anyway, I decided that I was gonna try and assemble it anyway. So I made my icing, and started to assemble it just to see it crumble before my eyes. Major fail! All my work, just gone like that. But I am glad I tried it, because now I know what was wrong with it (dough was not hard enough plus it was too thin!), next time I make it, I know what to do. I am trying again today - just need to stock up in the ingredients! So watch this space!

There are so many great holiday recipes around the net, here are some I will try:

MckMama has made some snow pops and they look so delicious. I'm gonna try and make them! Click on the photo to check the recipe out!

Another beauty:

Oh there is so many more! I will probably add them as I go. I would love to hear what your favorite holiday treat is! I am all ears :)





No comments:

Post a Comment